Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Pour Some Sugar On Me

I am adding music to my iPod. It is taking a while and right now I am listening to "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard. It is amazing to me how a song can kind of put you in a nostalgia overload, you know? This song, "The Flame" and "Love Bites" all have the same effect on me-- I am suddenly transported back to the summer and fall of 1988, and sometimes the ache is overwhelming. I know I don't want to be 13 or 14 again, but I miss feeling so safe and free of the responsibility of being an "adult". I don't mind being 30. I still feel young. But there was just something about really having your whole life ahead of you, where you had absolutely no idea where your life was going to lead, and what mattered was so much simpler to grasp, albeit challenging and daunting in its own right.

I wonder if when I am turning 45 I'll look back to being 30 and long for those "simpler" days. I imagine by then I'll have a child or two of my own, and be reliving those early teen years through their experiences. That should be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home