Sunday, December 26, 2004

Umm, no.

Merry Christmas, first of all. I hope you had a wonderful holiday with your families, and that many new and priceless Christmas memories were created in your celebration.

That said, sorry mate, I hated "Love Actually" and none of your arguments even began to sway my opinion. Yes, I have a predisposed sensitivity to fat jokes. Most people who have suffered an eating disorder do. I forgot to mention that in addition to the ridiculous remarks about Martine McCutcheon, there were plenty of fat jokes at the expense of the sister of the whippet-thin Aurelia character, mainly made by her father who insinuated she would never get a husband being fat. Actually I think he flat out said that. Fat jokes are so cheap. British humor being as sophisticated as it can be, it's absolutely pathetic how many times the film stooped so low. This is partly why I cannot stand the Bridget Jones series either (aside from Renee Zellweger, who is sooo frigging annoying!!!).

I didn't care much for the little kid. I didn't like Liam Neeson's character or Laura Linney's, either. I just felt as the whole story was forced and sappy and tied up neatly in a fluffy bow at the end... but not without a final stab at how "heavy" Martine's character was. I am sorry that I cannot agree with you, but I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree...

If you want to pick a new favorite Christmas movie, I am going to take a risk and suggest you give the movie "Bad Santa" a try. It has its faults (namely the whole Lauren Graham character) but it also has some incredibly hilarious moments (mainly by the kid who played Thurman Merman).

Happily, this Christmas has turned out to be an Eddie Izzard Christmas! Nate's family has embraced his humor and I relish the thought of being the one to bring it to them.We gave Nate's dad "Unrepeatable", "Circle" and "Glorious" for Christmas and he was so excited! Now there is some excellent British humor without having to stoop to a fat joke. Oh yes, and I also received "Shaun of the Dead" for Christmas! Another EXCELLENT British film, with no fat jokes, and yet incredibly witty and so, so smart. Simon Pegg is adorable, and the cast is so great. I hope you get a chance to watch it soon.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home