Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Television Ruined My Life

[Incidentally, also the title of a Pat McCurdy song. Ah, Patty, I love ya'.]

Aimee, "Lost" rocks. Best show on TV last year. It has a lot to live up to this season, and I hope it doesn't choke under the pressure.

And I'll give a shout out to "Degrassi," too. I used to watch it on channel 36 in Milwaukee after school. Seeing the pictures of the characters really snapped it back into focus for me, although I have to admit I don't recall too many of the plot lines in much detail. I remember vague issues -- drugs, teen pregnancy, I-like-her-but-she-doesn't-like-me, Student Council Presidential campaigns... all probably done much more tastefully and realistically than "Saved by the Bell," which I'm proud to admit I watched not one minute of. Also, I have always just loved Canada. Seniors in high school go to places like Cancun for Spring Break. I drove up to Toronto with my two closest friends to see The Phantom of the Opera at the Pantages Theatre. Third row, TYVM. If it weren't for my job (which I love), we would've seriously considered packing up the kids and moving up there after this country's latest disaster.

I probably watch way too much TV. I like lots of stuff. Even reality shows. You ask me, do I think it's unoriginal and that it is leading to the dumbening of America? No, I say to you! The dumbening of America? See the "disaster" link above and tell me how much dumber we can get. It ain't TV that's the problem, people.

But I digress.

Some of the shows I watch, off the top of my head: "The Amazing Race," "Rescue Me," "Boston Legal" (that's some funny-ass shit -- way underrated in my book), "Alias," "24," "Monk" (it's like our generation's "Murder, She Wrote"), and "Arrested Development" (probably the funniest show on television). I miss "NYPD Blue" and "Six Feet Under," but they're likely being replaced by shows lke "Rescue Me," "Entourage," and "Weeds." I still watch "ER," "Survivor," "The Simpsons" (of course). I even still watch syndicated reruns of "The Simpsons," as well as "Seinfeld" and "The Office." I'm glad BBC America is around so I can get my Brit fixes every now and then. You can't go wrong with Python and "Blackadder." I've heard about "Footballer's Wives," but I've not seen it. "Desperate Housewives" is kind of fun, but I guess that's just not my favorite genre.

I am pissed that I forgot about Danny's show! Luckily, basic cable repeats things ad nauseum, so I'll catch it on the flip side here sooner or later. Thanks for the reminder, Lisa!

Aimee, it sounds to me like you have it figured out, though. Wait to hear what everyone likes and then wait for the DVD. Invariably, it will come out before the next season starts, so you'll be caught up, but at least you get to watch it on your own time. Problem is, you can't talk with people about what happened last night or listen to the radio unless you're willing to hear some spoilers (which I am not). TiVo is an even better option. I took one of our older computers and turned it into a homemade TiVo using Beyond TV software -- all the features with none of the subscription fees. That machine sits on the floor of the closet in Alexa's room and records anything we can't watch. It's a wonderful toy.

What else is good?

1 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger Aimee said...

You forgot the best show of all, Andy! I'm so disappointed!!

90210 will always be the best teen (with mid-30's actors) show out there! Shame on you!

p.s. Pat rocks!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home